SharePoint

stsadm restore Results in “No content databases are available for this operation…”

I needed to “rename” (change the URL of) a site collection today so I went in and did a backup, and then went to restore using the new URL.  When I ran the restore with the new URL, I got the following error:

No content databases are available for this operation. Create a content database, and then try the operation again. To create a content database, click Content databases” on the Application Management page, select the Web application to use, and then click “Add a content database”.

I was being too cautious.  The problem was that the GUID of the new site was the same as an existing site.  My options were to either delete the old site and then run the restore, or run the restore with the -overwrite flag.  I chose the former.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *